Monday, January 30, 2017

Tết Tết Tết Tết đến rồi


HAPPY NEW YEAR/CHÚC MỪNG NĂM MỚI for everyone that follows the lunar calendar!!!
An Khang Thịnh Vượng, sống lâu trong năm mãi mãi không già. 


All day Saturday and Sunday there was literally NO ONE out on the streets because of the new year. It was the most peaceful I have ever seen Hanoi. You could actually ride your bike and not have anyone honk at you to go faster or get out of the way. It was nice.

We had a WHOPPING TOTAL of 5 students at english class and 10 members at church because everyone else was in their hometown.

With the lack of people in Hanoi this week, we had a pretty rough time contacting. One day, we had already been out contacting for 2 hours and hadn't talked to a single person the whole time.. I was pretty frustrated. We were on our way home and I really didn't want to go home without talking to anyone, so I just said a little prayer and decided to try a little bit harder. Long story short, we were able to have an awesome conversation with a man named Chú Hà. We gave him a Book of Mormon to read and as we left, he chased us down so that we could write a little note for him on the inside cover. This experience just proved to me that Heavenly Father really will work miracles for us, but we have to act on our faith. We can't just ask for something and then sit there and wait for it to happen - we actually have to try. https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2010/10/the-transforming-power-of-faith-and-character?lang=eng

Speaking of faith, it took a whole lot of faith for me to be able to eat some of the food that was given to us for Tet. One of which being ostrich meat.. I can't say that it was the best thing I've ever eaten, but I got it down. 

On Saturday we had Zone Conference, and President Hassell showed us a video clip called "The Silver Thread". It talked about the history of the church in Vietnam and everything that has happened since the first missionaries here way back when (one of those missionaries was President Hassell himself!) It was SUCH an amazing video and I wish I could send the link, but it's not on the church website. So you'll just have to go look it up yourself.. But it is amazing.
It made me realize how much of a miracle it is that I can be here in Vietnam doing what I'm doing. It was so hard to preach the gospel and have any kind of church activity when it first started. Vietnam has come a loooong way.

Quote for the week: "Chị cả Thư có ăn món này chưa?" (Sister Graviet, have you eaten this yet?) This week we spent a lot of time having meals with members because of the new years.. And I've discovered one amazing thing. Not only do missionaries receive the gift of tongues, but we also receive the gift of eating. There is absolutely no way I could eat all of the food that they give me (and you have to eat all of it or else it's rude) without the grace of God.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Heaven is Pho Real.
Blog design by Labinastudio.