Monday, November 21, 2016

Lòng biết ơn

It's Thanksgiving week!!! Definitely missing the American holiday traditions right about now, nhưng chị sẽ chịu khó!

 

This past Saturday, we celebrated an early Thanksgiving with four of the senior missionaries - the Noordas and the Van Wagenens. Our commitment for them was a bit of a math problem, and I want everyone to do it:

Take the year 2016. Subtract the year that you were born. Take the number that you get, and that's how many things you have to write down that you're grateful for.

Or, if you don't like math, you can just take your age. 

Over these past six months of serving, I have realized that the best thing I can do when I'm having a hard time is to think about all the things that I am grateful for. So often I get caught up in the things that I DON'T have - I'm not fluent Vietnamese yet, I don't get to spend the holidays with my family, I don't have Ben & Jerry's here. But, when I think about all of the things that I DO have - an awesome companion, wonderful church members, 4 NEW INVESTIGATORS (that truly is a miracle) - life seems so much better. Here is a link to a conference talk given by our prophet, President Monson, about gratitude:


I wanted to take some time in this email to just bear my testimony, and express my gratitude for the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that my Savior lives, and that He knows exactly what I'm thinking and feeling every minute of every day. Sometimes that's hard for me to wrap my head around - How is it even possible for Him to understand every trial that I have in my life? But I know, without a doubt, that He does. He has experienced all the pain of the world so that He could personally identify with each and every one of us. I know that He loves us and that He wants us to be happy. I know that His gospel, and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is true. I know that it has brought me all of the happiness that I have right now. I know that this work that I am doing, even though it is incredibly hard and sometimes really disheartening, is the most important work I could ever do on this earth.

I hope everyone has a great week, especially on Thanksgiving Day! Always remember to give thanks for everything that you have.

If there was one quote for this week, it would be this: "Maybe just scared because for once someone act be with you." Once again, credit for this beauty goes to BIG-C. They've released a second edition to my favorite sweater, found in their women's department. If I had to guess, I'm thinking they meant to say "because for once someone ACTUALLY wants to be with you", but who knows. I'm not a designer - that's Lindsay's job. But can I just say that there IS someone that wants to be with each and every one of us, and that person is our loving older brother, Jesus Christ. https://www.lds.org/liahona/2000/04/the-living-christ-the-testimony-of-the-apostles-the-church-of-jesus-christ-of-latter-day-saints?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heaven is Pho Real.
Blog design by Labinastudio.