Một năm đã trôi qua

Monday, July 17, 2017

This past week marked my ONE YEAR MARK IN VIETNAM!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow. I read over my first journal entry for my first day in Vietnam:
"Today I killed my first cockroach. Expecting many more to come. So today I was given my first area and companions/trainers! Hanoi, Chi Man Nghi, and Chi Ha. I'm glad I get to stay in Hanoi - I really didn't want to get on another plan after 30 hours of traveling. So here's how the day went: We spent the night at Elder and Sister Van Wagenen's home and then woke up and had a BOMB breakfast. We then went to the mission office to go through orientation. I had my first interview with President Hassell - sometimes I forget that he's a mission president because of how chill he is. After the orientation, we all walked to a restaurant for lunch. I don't really know what I ate. One dish was like banana curry or something - it was bright green. I was sweating the whole time. It's so hot outside and then we always eat hot food. The 2 don't mix. Tonight during our planning session I had to CALL SOMEONE. I had to ask if a member could help in a lesson and it freaked me out but I did it and she seemed to understand me. The swelling in my feet has gone down a little. This is good."

Well, needless to say, a LOT has changed since my first day here, July 14th, 2016! Basically everything is different now except for the fact that I still sweat all the time and I still don't really know the kind of food that I get fed. Serving here in Vietnam has been, hands down, the hardest thing I've ever done but it's also been the most rewarding. The one thing that has always seemed to help me get through the trials arise is just remembering who it is that I need to put first - and the answer to that is always God. Whenever hard things come up, we just need to remember to put God first, and then it will be clear what kind of sacrifices we need to make and what things we need to do to get back on track.

The quote for this week comes with a wonderful, wonderful story. Every Tuesday, my companion and I will go help out at our investigator's restaurant. After the busy lunch shift is over, we normally will sit down with our investigator, eat lunch, and talk with her. So this past week as we sat down to eat, our investigator asked us, (here's the quote of the week), "Hai em có thích trứng gà không?" which translates to "Do you like eggs?" (chicken eggs, to be more specific). Who doesn't like eggs, right? So we replied, " Dạ có, thích nhiều!" TURNS OUT WE MISS HEARD HER becuase the next thing we know she brings out a big plate full of CHICKEN FEET. She had said "chân gà" and not "trứng gà". Oh man. Lunch that day was very exciting. 



Thanks to everyone once again for the emails and pictures and updates!! Happy late birthday to JANICE MAN NGHI LYNGUYEN aka CHI MAN NGHI and happy early birthday to Anna Hu :)))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heaven is Pho Real.
Blog design by Labinastudio.